It is also very important to show consideration towards wild reindeer when skiing in Stølsheimen. This entire area is part of Fjellheimen wild reindeer area. The reindeer are particularly vulnerable during late winter when food is hard to find. Show consideration when meeting wild reindeer, and keep a good distance away from the animals. If they are constantly disturbed by people on skis, they use up a lot of their energy running away. This means they have less time to graze. Constant disturbance may cause the reindeer to leave the area and miss out on important grazing land. If you hear information that reindeer are located in the area where you are thinking of taking a trip, you should choose another route.
Safety during winter
Here are some tips to ensure you have a safe trip.
- Choose a trip according to your level of fitness, skiing ability and motivation. Remember that a group is not stronger than its weakest link.
- Plan your trip well and tell someone where you are going.
- Winter weather in the mountains can change abruptly from sunshine to blizzards. Always carry extra clothing and safety equipment. Feel free to check the Norwegian Trekking Association’s (DNT) packing list for summit trips and cabin-to-cabin trips.
- Before setting out on a trip, check the avalanche warnings at varsom.no.
- Avoid terrain that is steeper than 30 degrees. The risk of avalanches is greatest on slopes that are steeper than 30 degrees. If you are taking a trip in unfamiliar terrain, check the classified avalanche terrain in Norway before you leave.This can be found at varsom.no.
- Always follow the Norwegian Mountain Code
Leave no trace
Clean up after yourself and do not leave any trash behind, including disposable barbecues and wet wipes.
If you can’t find a toilet, dig a hole that is at least 30 meters from paths, buildings or water sources. Toilet paper and wet wipes are garbage that must be thrown into a trash bin.
Show consideration for grazing animals and wild animals. Keep your dog on a leash and close gates behind you.
Follow established trails so that wild reindeer and other shy animals do not have to encounter people everywhere. Avoid taking short cuts or treading new trails.
If you hear information that reindeer are located in the area, choose a different trip.
Stop and move away if you see wild reindeer. Observe them from a good distance.